Playing with fire

flames

My two children, Megan and Adam, are now young adults.  I feel fortunate that their elementary years took place in a world where kids did not have cell phones, and Facebook had not yet been created.  Rearing children is a challenging enough enterprise without adding social media and text messages to the mix!

Back in the ancient days of the 1990s, I heard a parenting expert lament, “It used to be the job of parents to introduce their children to the culture.  Today, the job of parents is to protect their children FROM the culture.”  That was true then, and it is even more true now.

Still, I completely understand the lure of the connected child.  I am certain that if Megan and Adam were 10 year olds today, I would allow them to have some kind of connected device.  I am equally sure that I would put strict limits on their use and fight endless battles about when, where, and with whom they could interact online.

This year, MBS has markedly increased our access to computers for our students.  Every classroom has 12 “devices” (Chromebooks, ipads, or desktops) in addition to the desktop and laptop used by the teacher for instruction.  This means our students can use computers flexibly as a learning tool instead of waiting for their class to have a turn with the computer carts.  It means our teachers can use the power of computing to help their students research, write, create, communicate and connect.

With that power, we have a huge responsibility to teach our students responsible use.  We have adopted the digital citizenship curriculum from Common Sense Media.  You can read about it here: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/curriculum.  Some of the lessons will be taught in the classroom; some in the library; and some through the guidance curriculum.   The Common Sense Media site has ideas for parents as well.

While our newly increased access to computers is exciting, I assure you that we continue to teach our students to use all kinds of tools for communicating and creating.  I recently visited Summit House during a project time.  Last week, the students were paired up to use K’Nex to create a working golf club.  This Friday, they created a plan to promote and market their product.  Two students were using an ipad to create a video.  One student proudly showed me his slide show in Google docs.  Two girls had a cardboard sign, carefully lettered “50% off!” They held the sign as they performed an “jingle” they wrote together.  Another was using colored pencils to design her print advertisement.  Colored pencils and markers were valued equally with ipads and Powerpoint by students and teachers alike.

Giving elementary children computers and mobile devices is powerful and exciting, but without careful guidance from adults it can be like playing with fire.  We set strict limits with MBS students.  Their access to Google docs and the District gmail account is for school purposes only.  Any unauthorized use will result in losing their access to computers for a period of time, perhaps for the entire school year.  We appreciate partnering with parents to make sure our children grow up to be good “digital citizens.”