Gratitude

Science has now shown us what many of us, including most world religions, have known for generations. Gratitude is good for us!  A recent article in Forbes magazine (http://bit.ly/2gaZi37) pointed out seven proven benefits to practicing gratitude on a regular basis.  These include improved relationships; better sleep; increased mental strength; and better physical and psychological health.  So many benefits for something so simple!

Here at Malletts Bay School, our students were asked to show their ‘attitude of gratitude’ all last week.  In class discussions students generated lists of the many things we have to be grateful for. They completed a “gratitude chain” to decorate our hallways and serve as a visual reminder.  On Veteran’s Day, we invited local military veterans to join us for lunch.  During the morning assemblies, I reviewed with students the simple way to thank any veteran for their service.  It was lovely to see the children cautiously approach our guests, offer their hand, and say, “Thank you for your service.”

In the spirit of “Gratitude Week,” I’d like to take the opportunity to thank everyone for helping make MBS a a wonderful school for our community’s children.  I’ll name a few names, but please know that each and every contribution is welcomed and appreciated:

Thank you to the Four Winds volunteers; Odyssey of the Mind and Lego League coaches; and sports coaches through Colchester Recreation for helping provide expanded opportunities for our children.

Thank you to Trish DiFonzo and the many volunteers who made this year’s Monster Mash a huge success!

Thank you to Jaycie Puttlitz for steering the Yearbook committee and helping us to have something “real” for the students to vote on during Election Day.

Thank you to the “tally crew” for getting the annual fundraiser ready, and to Angela Bean for stepping up and finishing the process with grace and attention to detail.

Thank you to every parent who juggled work schedules to visit us during the school day to see classroom performances, science events, and other demonstrations of learning.  I know parents who are able to come in during the school day make a point to help every child feel “noticed” and honored; for this I thank you.

Thank you to the many volunteers who helped Mrs. O make this year’s Book Fair a huge success.

Thank you to every parent who figured out a way to contact teachers during parent-teacher conference days. While 20 minutes is never enough time, every moment that we have to partner with you is time well spent.

I wish you all a wonderful holiday.  May you enjoy time with friends and family, a good meal, and some time for relaxation.